[CS-FSLUG] Adding a partition for Linux

Warren Sanders warren at sandersonline.org
Fri Jul 11 15:30:34 CDT 2008

Jim Isbell, W5JAI wrote:
> Sounded good and I tried it, but apparently XP has some way of
> disabling any boot but itself.  I went into SETUP and directed the
> boot to the CD and still it ignored the CD and booted from the HD.  I
> then disabled boot from the HD and it then complained that it could
> not find an operating system...even though BOTH CD drives had
> operating systems in them, ME and Freespire.  I then tried reading the
> Linux CD from the console in XP and it could not read it.  I tried
> putting an ME setup disk in the CD drive and it would not boot from
> that.  The CD can be read however because by going into XP then
> accesing the CD and trying to run setup it will give me the message
> that ME cannot be set up from within XP...which I knew, but it shows
> the drive is reading correctly.  But it ignores either disk when I try
> booting from the CD drive and goes to the HD to boot XP and I can see
> that it is accessing the CD drives, but ignoring that they can boot.
>
> On Thu, Jul 10, 2008 at 5:14 PM, l4c <l4c at thelinuxlink.net> wrote:

My bet is your drive is on the way out.  It can only read OEM CD's not
burned.  Or perhaps your drive only does like CD/DVD-R or +R not both.
But then again you probably did burn the CD from this drive.  Seen this
a hundred times myself.

Sometimes persistence helps too.  I have gotten a drive to try booting
as it revved up just at the right moment.

--
Warren Sanders