[CS-FSLUG] Dead Fan on ATI Card

Fred A. Miller fmiller at lightlink.com
Mon Feb 25 14:39:54 CST 2008

Erik Wessman wrote:
> Tim, I have a ATI 9600 Pro (a hand-me-down from my son) here with
> a similar complaint.  There is a mfgr out there that claims to
> make replacement fans for these cards, but they are as scarce as
> hen's teeth, at least in Canada.  The best advice I've had has
> two thrusts:
>
> (a) carefully remove the fan, pry it apart, and use WD40 and oil
> on the bearings, then reassemble - techies claim to have obtained
> about 18 moths additional life this way;  and

WD40, when it dries, turns to a varnish like substance that will lock up
a fan, gun action, or whatever you can think of tighter than the grip of
"Gorilla Monsoon" the crab!!!! ;) Further, it ISN'T safe to use around
any electrical appliance of any kind.....period!!

If you must mess with something like that, you can soak the fan in
Kroil, which you can order by the gal. from the company who makes it.
Kroil WILL clean it well, blow it out and dry it well with a compressor,
then lubricate the bearing with a good silicon oil from an auto-parts
store. IF it's going to be "like knew," this IS the ONLY way to do it.

And, yes......I've done this with all types of 'puter fans and other
electrical equipment......saved a LOT of down time ($$) because it
doesn't take long to clean a fan!! 'Blow out all the dirt, soak and
swish, blow it dry, lube it, put it back in service....all in less time
than it takes to get to BestBuy or wherever. ;)

Fred

--
"Security" in Windows comes from patching a sieve.