[CS-FSLUG] UNIVERSITY NOW TEACHING LINUX ON IBM MAINFRAME

Don Parris parrisdc at gmail.com
Wed Aug 27 15:19:37 CDT 2008

Central Piedmont Community College in Charlotte is also developing a strong
Novell-based GNU/Linux program.  I'm privileged to have known this for some
time now, but the guy in charge is also our LUGs sponsor on the campus.  :-)

Blessings,
Don

On Wed, Aug 27, 2008 at 11:52 AM, Fred A. Miller <fmiller at lightlink.com>wrote:

> UNIVERSITY NOW TEACHING LINUX ON IBM MAINFRAME
> http://go.techtarget.com/r/4320253/1461419
> Pam Derringer, News Writer
>
> While most computer science students learn skills on x86 servers,
> their counterparts at the University of Arkansas will now get
> hands-on experience on a new IBM system z900 running Novell SUSE
> Linux Enterprise.
>
> A national leader in mainframe instruction, the university (and its
> Walton School of Business) has taught Linux on the mainframe for five
> years and was rewarded for its efforts with a free five-year loan,
> including maintenance, of the System z machine from the Armonk,
> N.Y.-based computer manufacturer.
>
> The university's fully configured system has 16 processors, 64 GB of
> memory and 7 TB of disk space. It contains enterprise-size databases
> donated by Sam's Club, Tyson's wholesale outlets and Dillard's retail
> stores, with the latter's repository containing 140 million rows.
> These unusually large databases give students a rich, real-world
> experience as they learn how to work with relational databases and
> run SAP's business intelligence application.
>
> "We are the only university in the world we know of running SAP with
> IBM DB2 on the mainframe," said Professor David Douglas.
>
> READ THE FULL STORY
> http://go.techtarget.com/r/4320254/1461419
>
> --
> Linux is an old Latin word meaning, "I don't have
> to support your Windows anymore."

D.C. Parris
Minister, Journalist, Free Software Advocate
https://www.xing.com/profile/Don_Parris
http://www.linkedin.com/in/dcparris
sip:dcparris at ekiga.net <sip%3Adcparris at ekiga.net>