[CS-FSLUG] Laptop scripting

Ed Hurst ehurst at asisaid.com
Mon Oct 29 09:28:00 CDT 2007

Finally, I found a distro which didn't choke on my laptop -- CentOS 4.
FreeBSD ran alright, but much of the hardware was poorly supported, at
best. For example, there simply was no means to getting a wireless
connection without digging around the Net for an ancient wifi card. Even
then, it appears the bus support was bad. Anything related to ACPI wasn't
happening, either.

With CentOS, I at least have wireless and I've found a script for sleep
mode connected to closing the lid. Now I need to script suspend-to-RAM
with a clean recovery, and maybe someday I'll get suspend-to-disk
(hibernate). Does anyone have any experience with this? I'm willing to
learn, and I've found a couple of sites, but the curve is steep for me
starting near zero.

I know it involves getting the video, pointer, USB and PCMCIA slots to
temporarily disengage, then reconnect. It won't bother me if I have to
take down networking (I have built-in ethernet, USB wireless for home, and
PC-card wireless for roaming). The graphics is on-board Intel 855, and the
pointer is Alps touchpad and USB mouse.

--
Ed Hurst