[CS-FSLUG] Winutuxu OS with Sp2 (Windows & Linux in One CD)

Timothy Butler tbutler at ofb.biz
Tue Nov 20 14:54:00 CST 2007

On Nov 20, 2007, at 2:38 PM, Keli of Coxsackie wrote:

> Well - I am on a network and I print to Xerox Workcentre 7655 and a
> Doc
> 12 and a Document Centre 440 St and a Phaser 8560 and so I would
> firstly
> need to be able to access my working pdfs on the network and print
> them..
> ALSO.. since I work with pdfs I need the ability to manipulate the pdf
> and impose when needed into booklet or impose for business cards... I
> use adobe and would love to get away from them.. I know GIMP is a good
> Photoshop alternative (or even Gimpshop) and Scribus is decent as a
> layout program although I have hundreds of indesign layouts that I
> still
> need to keep using.

	There's nothing of the caliber of Adobe Creative Suite for Linux, if
you really utilize it, which it sounds like you do. Your best bet is
to go with running a virtualized copy of Windows in VMware, Win4Lin,
or QEMU (the latter is free). That's the only way you'll get perfect
Windows compatibility, and unfortunately, unlike on the Mac, they
have not come up with a rootless virtualizer that allows the windows
apps to intermingle with native apps. You could try CrossOver Office,
but that is unlikely to fit the bill if you use Creative Suite a lot.

	The other alternative is to get a Mac. :-) You get most of the
benefits of Linux, plus you have native versions of Adobe.

	-Tim

---
Timothy R. Butler | "Into this Universe, and why not knowing,
Editor, OFB.biz   | Nor whence, like Water willy-nilly flowing:
tbutler at ofb.biz   | And out of it, as Wind along the Waste,
timothybutler.us  | I know not whither, willy-nilly blowing."
                                            -- Edward FitzGerald