[CS-FSLUG] Jobs at Rackspace, tech "telework" in general

David McGlone d.mcglone at att.net
Thu Nov 15 19:39:18 CST 2007

On Thursday 15 November 2007 12:17:26 pm Ed Hurst wrote:
> On Thursday 15 November 2007 10:05 Ed Dodds wrote:
> > Spot on. Specifically, challenging corporate leadership to consider
> > "home shoring" of folks with disabilities. Not a panacea but I find
> > most C-suites/HR folks don't give a first thought, let alone a
> > second. Nifty open ( or proprietary ) tools don't mean much if the
> > context in which they have to be used are economically improbable.
>
> So, you are wondering if we could offer, verbally at least, a Christian
> witness to the need of bigger companies to see if they could employ
> more disabled people via telecommute, etc.?
>
> I believe there is some small emphasis in this area among churches, but
> I've only ever heard of it in the more liberal ones. I find almost no
> effort in evangelical/conservative churches I've visited except a
> limited outreach here and there to the deaf.

Very limited actually. :-( I went to my sisters church a couple times and it's
quite a big church, I'd say at least 1,000 to 2,000 people and not 1 hint of
some type of help for the deaf. When I attended there were so many people
there and I was so far away we had to actually watch the service on a
monitor. There was no caption, or anything. So in a way I felt the service
was actually a waste of my time.

> Indeed, it's been rather
> hard to get them to consider things like well-placed ramps for
> wheelchairs. That was a major issue in my life at one point, because I
> used a wheelchair. This suggests to me there's a cultural failure. I
> don't have any solutions, aside from trying to think of a way to make
> an article out of it for OfB.biz.
>
> > Thanks all for your patience re: this meme. I'll stick to topic from
> > now on.
>
> As a list moderator, I assure you there's no error here. Changing the
> subject line is all it takes, and you did that. Few of our discussions
> could be considered more important than this topic.

As a disabled person, I think this is an important topic. It actually makes me
feel good that this was brought up because it reminds me that there is at
least some people out there that care.

> What can techies do
> to improve our witness?

Answer: find a way to get god a computer and E-mail address. ;-)

--
David M.

He that is giddy thinks the world turns round.
		-- William Shakespeare, "The Taming of the Shrew"