[CS-FSLUG] Jobs at Rackspace, tech "telework" in general

Ed Hurst ehurst at asisaid.com
Thu Nov 15 11:17:26 CST 2007

On Thursday 15 November 2007 10:05 Ed Dodds wrote:
> Spot on. Specifically, challenging corporate leadership to consider
> "home shoring" of folks with disabilities. Not a panacea but I find
> most C-suites/HR folks don't give a first thought, let alone a
> second. Nifty open ( or proprietary ) tools don't mean much if the
> context in which they have to be used are economically improbable.

So, you are wondering if we could offer, verbally at least, a Christian
witness to the need of bigger companies to see if they could employ
more disabled people via telecommute, etc.?

I believe there is some small emphasis in this area among churches, but
I've only ever heard of it in the more liberal ones. I find almost no
effort in evangelical/conservative churches I've visited except a
limited outreach here and there to the deaf. Indeed, it's been rather
hard to get them to consider things like well-placed ramps for
wheelchairs. That was a major issue in my life at one point, because I
used a wheelchair. This suggests to me there's a cultural failure. I
don't have any solutions, aside from trying to think of a way to make
an article out of it for OfB.biz.

> Thanks all for your patience re: this meme. I'll stick to topic from
> now on.

As a list moderator, I assure you there's no error here. Changing the
subject line is all it takes, and you did that. Few of our discussions
could be considered more important than this topic. What can techies do
to improve our witness?

Ed Hurst
Applied Bible - http://ed.asisaid.com/index.html