[CS-FSLUG] Jobs at Rackspace, tech "telework" in general

Ed Dodds ed.dodds at gmail.com
Thu Nov 15 08:32:11 CST 2007

I realize this is off list topic but I saw a recent article where at
least some Indian support centers are experimenting with underwriting
MBA tuition expenses to deal with the employee churn rate due to the
inflation of wages. There either is or isn't a global tech worker
crunch going ( hard to figure given the US CS grad rate decrease ) and
it seems like C-Suites are throwing money down the HR whole to put up
hoops for folks to jump thru in order to take a gig in the US but
don't mind off shoring completely. I just don't get the dichotomy of
thought...

My real concern re: this list is related to my wife's work in
disabilities services ( UCP in NAshville ). In the US 70% of folks
with disabilities are unemployed -- the number one and two reasons
being the cost of accessible transportation to the work site and the
cost of health insurance. The catch 22 is that if you don't have a job
you can't afford insurance or the accessible van. If you don't have
your health, you can't get a job. Since a lot of these folks live in
rural areas with poorer healthcare systems to begin with ( and don't
even get me started on how many petro dollars we could save for better
use elsewhere if we cut out unnecessary commuting ) it seems weird to
me that more "church" techies don't take up the banner to promote this
theme given its self-enablement possibilities.

I step off my rant box...

--
Ed Dodds
Strategist, Systems Architect