[CS-FSLUG] Jobs at Rackspace, tech "telework" in general

Micah Yoder yoderm at gmail.com
Thu Nov 15 06:46:21 CST 2007

> Just curious -- has your management ever considered sturcturing the work so
> that at least some of these positions could be done remotely a la
> culturerx.com ? I monitor the tech press re: the C-Suite complaints
> regarding hiring tech workers and they all ( gross exaggeration ) seem  to
> miss the point that the "relocate your family to another local -- often {
> not in your case apparently } to a real estate market which isn't
> supportable with typical tech salaries only to by outsourced when you
> arrive" fear is a relevant factor in these decisions.

I can't speak for management, but I don't think so.  Being on the
phone with customers is a big part of it.  There's no inherent reason
why it couldn't be done, in fact there is a VPN where you can work
remotely if you need to (though I think the phone integration requires
Windows).  But there's also the teamwork aspect.

There's not too much to worry about in this case -- the company is
growing like mad.  If you haven't heard, they bought an abandoned mall
in San Antonio to relocate to, and have a bunch of new tax breaks
contingent on hiring about 3000 more people in the next 5 years. :)

Of course you may have heard about our datacenter outages this week.
That was kind of nuts. :)  By far the biggest interruption in service
the company has ever experienced.  There was a bit of fear as to how
it would financially damage the company, and it obviously will to some
extent.  But I think we came through it strong, showing customers what
real service is all about.