[CS-FSLUG] Extra harddisc - how to?

Robert W. robertwo at insightbb.com
Sun Mar 25 17:08:41 CDT 2007

On Sun, 25 Mar 2007 21:58:56 +0200 HildingE <he7316575 at yahoo.se> wrote:
> Well, time has come to put an extra harddisc in my old PC, but how to
> do? I have got Fedora 6 on my master disc. GRUB is bootloader, and on
> my slave disc I would like to install Kubuntu or Xubuntu. I can
> understand the two different names on the discs, hda and hdb, but do
> I write the bootloader-file, GRUB.conf? I can see that this is
> elementary, my dear Watson, but I would like to understand what is
> happening. Fedora6 is not an easy distro or, it is a sort main distro
> that takes care of everything, when you are installing Fedora as your
> last distro. It is more difficult when you already have Fedora as
> your first dist. Well, have you got some HOWTO to use in this case?

You should not need to install GRUB on the second disk. The computer
will still boot into GRUB off the first disk. What you'll do is add an
entry in /boot/grub/menu.lst under Fedora (your first disk). So GRUB
knows about the operating system on the second disk.

Actually, Ubuntu might be smart enough to update /boot/grub/menu.lst
for you. I've not installed Ubuntu in a two disk environment yet.

--
Robert W.
robertwo at insightbb.com

And the LORD said... "I will have mercy on whom I have mercy, and I
will have compassion on whom I will have compassion." -- Exodus 33:19b