[CS-FSLUG] Career paths

Nathan T. celerate at gmail.com
Tue Feb 20 01:21:38 CST 2007

Hey everyone,

I'm being accused perpetually of being a liar at work. It happened
when we had a shoplifter, and when I told the managers they called me
a liar and refused to take it seriously until the shoplifter was
caught on camera trying the stunt again. It happened last thursday
when I was accused of entering hardware in for service without serial
numbers, and when I tried to defend my self the one particularly
problematic manager called me a liar again and said I was doing it
until one of the other staff members confessed to the offense. It's
happened when the time stamp on an e-mail notification was within
five minutes of another manager telling me to notify him if someone
dropped by, and because the e-mail said that person dropped by
despite it being fifteen to twenty minutes earlier than when this
manager had come by, I was accused of hiding the fact that he had
just been there from the manager. When I tried to defend myself the
time stamp on the e-mail was all the evidence they needed to call me
a liar again. It happened again earlier today when after six months
of working at the store and processing returns I was told that I told
someone over the phone that I didn't even know if the store had a
return policy. Of course I know better than to say something like
that, I knew the return policy because I was telling people what it
was when they asked, but the more problematic manager spoke to me
alone and said that I did say these things, he repeated this over and
over again forcefully on the grounds that my anonymous coward accuser
claimed to have recognized the voice on the phone as my own when
visiting the store later on.

I get all sorts of grief for forgetting which one of the hundreds of
customers I've dealt with in a day bought what, or what PO number was
on one of the fifty or so order fulfillment forms I've going through
that day was, and after feeding me non-stop conflicting information
the managers come back at me and complain that I can't remember what
details they have settled on when it comes to floor plans. It's time
for me to consider career options and dump this abusive relationship.

What I was hoping for was some ideas for career paths. I do care to
some degree about the kinds of incomes I can earn, but more
importantly I want to retain some will to live while also having the
job. I have thought about pursuing programming since it's already a
hobby of mine (for which I find I have very little time), but I hear
the jobs aren't available, the pay is very low, and the deadlines are
always passed. I also don't want to ruin a hobby which I enjoy. I
haven't actually worked with Linux in quite a while, in case someone
was thinking of work to do with that. Truth be told I've only been
using Windows XP, Vista, and Mac OS X lately and I'm happy with that
(although I still use free software). I prefer to work alone, but I
can work in groups as long as everyone is civil, and whatever career
path I choose I want to be able to afford an apartment,
transportation, a computer, food and shelter. Would anyone be
interested in discussing possible options, and the kind of education
required, I know this list is full of experienced adults and there
aren't too many people I can turn to for help without tipping off my
managers early that I'm thinking of ditching them for a higher
education.

Looking forward to some replies.

Nathan T.