[CS-FSLUG] [OT] USB Hubs; Gigabit Networking

Tim Young Tim.Young at LightSys.org
Mon Feb 19 08:29:41 CST 2007

There are two parts to a wireless router switch, the wireless, and the
switch. The wireless component is the one which may limit itself to the
slowest wireless device on the network.

The wired connections are normal switches, which should give you a solid
10/100 link. You will need to check the specifications of that router to
see if it is gigabit capable, but I doubt it will be. Most likely it is
10/100. BUT, you can still use a gigabit switch and have all the devices
which are gigabit capable plugged into that. You can then have the
advantages of gigabit, without most of the limitations. You would have a
shared link from the gigabit to the wireless switch, (and probably from
the wireless to the Internet), but that should not cause you too much
grief. From the Internet out, the link is so much slower than 100mb, and
your wireless link is even slower yet.

If you were hoping to get decent throughput to something on wireless;
that will not happen for a while. The 802.11n draft wireless
specification does claim to go up to 540bps (half of gigibit). This
specification is still in draft form. If you get something with it, make
sure it has some way to upgrade the firmware to whatever becomes the
standard. But even then, wireless has an inherent limitation. It usually
only goes to half the claimed speed. In the wired world, the issue is
referred to as "full duplex/half duplex." Basically, half the antenna is
devoted to sending, the other half to receiving. Some vendors have two
antennas, one for sending, one for receiving, each one capable of the
full speed (54mbps). They then claim that this combo makes it 110mbps.
What it means is that it is possible to send a file at 54mbps, or
receive a file at 54mbps. The problem is that most internet protocols do
not split the sending and receiving 50/50. If you were opening a file
from your nas, not taking into consideration the acknowledgment part of
protocols, the traffic is basically one way. With the dual-antenna
system, you will max out at 54mbps, one 20th of gigibit speed.

And that does not take into consideration what happens when there are
multiple wireless devices on your wireless network. :)

All that to say, wireless is great. Wireless is convenient. I love
wireless. But wireless will not replace wired for quite a while yet, at
least for those who have big files on their network.

At my house we do have a fileserver with digitized TV shows. We can
watch these over our wireless link without much of a problem. But when
we try to back up our laptops to the fileserver, we always plug into the
wired network.

Probably more information than you wanted...

- Tim Young