[CS-FSLUG] TrixBox for DayCare

Linc Fessenden l4c at thelinuxlink.net
Mon Feb 12 15:01:47 CST 2007

Ritchie, Josiah S. wrote:
> A church I'm associated with is interested in implementing Asterisk,
> probably TrixBox, to provide an intercom system to 16 day care
> classrooms and the front office. They'd also like to be able to send out
> announcements.
>
> The current implementation plan, assuming open-source solution is
> selected, would be to purchase a bunch of cheap SIP phones like the ones
> from GrandStream and connect them up to the network (to be run) in each
> room. Then setup Asterisk to operate those phones. This may later be
> connected to the building PBX, but not immediately. Then for one-way
> announcements, installing speakers in each room to be either wired into
> a phone or a soundcard on the Astrisk PBX.
>
> At this point this is all theory. I'm curious if anyone has played with
> this sort of implementation of Astrisk, or any use of it at all and
> might have some pointers.
>
> Quality of the audio is not a significant concern.
>
> JSR/

Well, as a matter of fact I run Trixbox and also use some Grandstream
Budgetones.  The phones are supposed to be able to be configured to auto
answer (to speakerphone) which would be fine for point to point.  You
could also use another and a wireless speaker setup (or wired) and a
cheapo amplifier to provide a central paging as well (the phones have an
audio jack on the back).  You also then have the ability to not only
connect these phones to the existing pbx, but you can completely replace
it as well.

--
-Linc Fessenden