[CS-FSLUG] "Windows Genuine Advantage Notification" via autoupdate?

Tim Young Tim.Young at LightSys.org
Sun Apr 1 08:01:16 CDT 2007

There are two ways you would get "rejected."  If someone stole your
license number, or if you have installed that license on a lot of
computers.  In either case, Microsoft does have a number to call to
straighten it out.  While I have never needed to call that number
myself, the people I know who have called it have not had too difficult
a time working through it.  I guess the assumption is that, if you go
through with calling them, you probably had a legal license.  They will
have you read the license number off, ask you where you got the license,
and such.  Not too much trouble.

For myself, I have no problems recommending that you install it.

They do have a pretty well documented list of things that they check
for.  I read it once and it was pretty straight-forward.  It was
something like seven bench-marks from your system.  Kind-of like a
hardware thumb-print.  They allow certain percentages to change before
they decide you have installed the OS on a different computer.  And they
allow you to install it on multiple computers before you are
"rejected."  I have successfully transferred a copy of XP from a desktop
to a laptop, and then to a second laptop (the first computer turned into
my firewall, the first laptop died.)  All of that without getting a
single rejection.  However they handle it, they have enough grace in the
matter to allow some slack.

    - Tim Young