[CS-FSLUG] "Windows Genuine Advantage Notification" via autoupdate?

Nathan T. celerate at gmail.com
Sun Apr 1 03:07:56 CDT 2007

I've seen some plausible false positives, but in many cases WGA seems
accurate. Where I work we get phone calls every once in a while with
someone complaining that their copy of Windows is reporting as
illegitimate, at that point we ask them to bring it in and of those
that don't shy away, every single occurrence I can think of involved
a computer that didn't bear a Windows license sticker for the version
they had installed. That's not to say the sticker being on the case
proves innocence, I for one wouldn't soil my $300 Silverstone case
with a Windows license sticker or "Intel Inside" case badge, so we
assume the best of the customer and ask them where they got their
copy of Windows from. Almost every time customers say they got their
copy of Windows when they bought the computer second hand off an
anonymous stranger, their kids installed it, their kids friend
installed it, or a friend of a friend who's technically inclined
installed it for them at no cost out of the goodness of their heart.
None of these people have ever admitted to pirating copies.
Interestingly the real pirates I've come across, those who had no
problem admitting their copy of Windows was illegitimate, have never
had problems with WGA, and maybe one or two people since I got my job
had evidence enough to convince me that they got false positives.

I haven't had problems with WGA, but I block it as a matter of
principle. WGA just like DRM is just another anti-consumer extension
of the "trusted computing" idea (companies can control what you do,
legal or not, without you having a say). By the way, I have a full
boxed (not OEM) copy of Windows Vista Home Premium 32 bit edition, I
am legally allowed to transfer it from one computer to another, but
thanks to product activation and WGA now if I want to do that I have
to call Microsoft and wait for their approval.