[CS-FSLUG] Christiansource Digest, Vol 31, Issue 19

Chad Fluegge chadfluegge at gmail.com
Mon Sep 18 19:50:23 CDT 2006

Ok, I'm back from work and can now respond more thoroughly than I could have
before.

> Hi one all,
>
> This is my first message to this list.
>
> I've been monkeying with Linux for awhile now, and just recently made the
> complete switch over to Ubuntu from WinXp. I'm liking it so far, except
> for
> a couple of things. I can't get my CDRW to write MP3 cds using K3B, it
> keeps
> telling me that there is nothing in the drive.
>
> Also, I'd like to be able to play Call of Duty via WINE, but I can't get
> past the part of switching cds. I have successfully ejected the cd using
> via
> the terminal, but when I put the second cd in nothing happens. Even after
> mounting, unmounting, and remounting; still nada.
>
> If somebody could help me, I'd appreciate it. Thanks, Chad

Welcome.
> Have you been lurking for a while, or have you recently signed up?

I just joined a couple of days ago, thinking that it could be of some use
down the road. I see I was right.

> I've been monkeying with Linux for awhile now, and just recently made the
> > complete switch over to Ubuntu from WinXp. I'm liking it so far, except
> for
> > a couple of things. I can't get my CDRW to write MP3 cds using K3B, it
> keeps
> > telling me that there is nothing in the drive.
>
> I can tell you it should be possible, but if I'm not mistaken support
> for the mp3 format was taken out of Ubuntu. There are some
> applications and scripts to help you get the support back; I think
> easyUbuntu was one, but I can't tell you for sure because It's been a
> while since I've used the distribution.

I've gotten the MP3 support back, but K3B refuses to write the files; it
claims that there isn't a cd in the drive.

> Also, I'd like to be able to play Call of Duty via WINE, but I can't get
> > past the part of switching cds. I have successfully ejected the cd using
> via
> > the terminal, but when I put the second cd in nothing happens. Even
> after
> > mounting, unmounting, and remounting; still nada.
>
> Cadega supports the game.
> http://transgaming.org/gamesdb/games/alphabrowse.mhtml?letter=C

Ok, I'll check that out, thanks!

> > I've been monkeying with Linux for awhile now, and just recently made
> >the complete switch over to Ubuntu from WinXp. I'm liking it so far,
> >except for a couple of things. I can't get my CDRW to write MP3 cds
> >using K3B, it keeps telling me that there is nothing in the drive.
>
> I use Ubuntu, but since you're using K3B I assume you're using the
> Kubuntu. I know Banshee has support for burning a Music CD, but that's a
> Gnome program. You might check to see if this is supported in Amarok.

Yes, you're right; I'm using Kubuntu. I didn't know that Amarok had support
for burning audio cds. I use it to manage my collection, but have yet to
experiment with the burning of a cd. However, I'm trying to burn a MP3-data
cd; one that can be played in an mp3 cd player.

Aside from comments made by others, I note this may take a bit of work.
> If K3B doesn't see the media, it's most likely a flaw in K3b, or it may
> be your system isn't recognizing your CD-RW correctly.

I'm beginning to think that you're right. Maybe I messed something up, with
all the monkeying around that I did trying to get Call of duty installed.
Now my USB flash drive is not being recognized. I tried plugging it into
every dadburn port and nothing would happen. I've used the flash drive ever
since I installed Ubuntu and never once - until today - has it ever failed
to mount it.

> Also, I'd like to be able to play Call of Duty via WINE, but I can't get
> > past the part of switching cds. I have successfully ejected the cd using
> via
> > the terminal, but when I put the second cd in nothing happens. Even
> after
> > mounting, unmounting, and remounting; still nada.
>
> With this, I am suspicious it's the latter -- the system isn't
> interacting properly with your CD. However, it's possible WINE isn't up
> to handling the task of multi-CD applications.

Again, I think that you're right about the system not interacting properly
with the cd. Other people have installed Call of Duty onto their linux
systems via wine and have not had a problem. Somebody had even had a similar
problem as myself (this happened on another board which I am not a member
of) and when they tried what another poster suggested, it worked. I tried
the same thing and it didn't work for me...

What make and model of CD-RW do you have? Could you tell us what 'dmesg'
> says about it?

That I cannot answer. My computer is at work where I've been using it to
design a website so I don't have it here in front of me. I will get back to
you on that ASAP. What is dmesg, and how do I access it?

Also, are there any geocachers on this mailing list? If so I was wondering
if any of you have ever tried to install GSAK or easyGPS on linux? If so,
how? I tried installing them in WINE and they install fine, but they hang up
before ever completely opening up.

One other thing, is there in way in BibleTime to have the Strongs numbers
show up in the Bible text? I searched every where, and cannot find that
setting... I know that it can be done with GnomeSword, but have yet to
figure it out with BibleTime.

Thanks for all the help!
Chad