[CS-FSLUG] Linksys Router Firewall, Windows Security & Backups

Nathan T. celerate at gmail.com
Sat Nov 25 01:53:01 CST 2006

Hi CS-FSLUG list

I've been looking at some internet security packages for my two
Windows machines here and I nearly brought home a copy of Norton
Internet Security 2007 the other day because it's now a three user
license. Fortunately one of the techs where I work made a comment
that reminded me of just how much Norton sucks the life out of an
otherwise fast computer and I changed my mind.

Now I'm considering some other internet security packages, but what
I'm really struggling with is whether I'd simply be ok getting
antivirus and leaving the computers with no firewall at all. All of
my machines are behind a Linksys router, it's the WRT54GS. Things
would be so much easier if I could simply trust the firewall on that
device; however, as a long time Windows user I have a compulsive urge
to keep a firewall, anti-virus and anti-spyware program on all my
Windows machines at all times. I even turned on the firewalls on my
Mac, and would have done the same for my Kubuntu machine if only it
were easier.

I would like your opinions, if I'm behind this router and I keep the
firmware up to date, do I need to have a firewall on every computer
as well?

Also, what security and backup software do you folks know of for
Windows? I realize this is OT but we're all geeks here, the majority
of us have had to work with and around Windows,  and even Google
doesn't have much to suggest. For security software I was considering
AVG Internet Security because their Anti-Virus and Anti-Spyware
products have worked well for me in the past. As for backup software
I have two different products in mind: one to make backups of
documents, files and game progress to a password protected network
share, and one that would allow me to make a restore-disk for Windows
itself after installation just like the ones that come with brand
name computers. I know about open source software that does something
like this, but I would prefer to go with a polished commercial
product as the restore disks would need to be usable by non-technical
users. Has anyone heard anything good or bad about a product called
Genie Backup Manager Home V. 7.0?

One last thing, I have a Lacie 80GB External USB 2.0 hard drive
attached to my Mac Mini now. Since I've been giving that particular
computer so much trust over some of the more important work I do with
my computers now I was hoping to get some backup software that would
utilize the external disk. I am aware that Leopard will have "time
machine" built in, I was just wondering if anyone in this list had a
chance to try it yet? If Leopard will be as fast as Tiger on my Mini
then I will most likely upgrade. Does anyone have any thoughts on this?