[CS-FSLUG] TD: Ezekiel and Tyre

Timothy Butler tbutler at ofb.biz
Wed Nov 22 22:36:25 CST 2006

Hi everyone,
	I've been doing some research which has lead me into dealing with
the "Open Theism" movement, which denies God's foreknowledge. One
defense that movement has is its critique of certain prophecies. For
example, Ezekiel 26's Oracle against Tyre.

	It seems that Tyre proper was on an island, and while Babylon
destroyed the mainland part of Tyre, it did not destroy the city on
the island. The fact that Ezekiel prophecies the destruction of Tyre,
and later "offers" Egypt to Nebuchadnezzar since Tyre didn't produce
fruit, is cited as showing God didn't know what would happen, but
could only guess.

	I've read some discussions on different ways to deal with this, such
as suggesting that the mainland city was the real Tyre, rather than
the island city. Or, saying that Ezekiel was dealing primarily in
showing God's judgement rather than specific events.

	What do you all think?

	-Tim

---
Timothy R. Butler | "It may be that  when the angels go about their
Editor, OfB.biz   | task  praising God,  they play only Bach.  I am
tbutler at ofb.biz   | sure,  however,  that when they are together en
timothybutler.us  | famille they play Mozart."
                                                       -- Karl Barth