[CS-FSLUG] OFB: Bring on the WorkStation 3

Timothy Butler tbutler at ofb.biz
Mon Nov 20 10:50:21 CST 2006

> If they were to do that, I expect it would at least double the price
> because they couldn't expect to make as much off the games/accessories
> for this unit. They'd have to settle for making money of the unit
> itself. Perhaps that is why they haven't already supped it up.

	Right, I think that is why they have not. But, $1,400-$1,800 for a
mid-to-high end PC isn't really bad at all. I'd think it'd appeal to
a good number of people, and if they made it work with Sony's
LocationFree TV, I think they could set it up so that the "P"C could
transmit video from games onto a TV even if it was in a different
part of the house. I'd think a decent number of people might find an
$1,800 computer more attractive than a $600 video game system. Even
at 3x the price, it is a good deal, since it would fulfill the roll
of at least a $1,200 PC (and likely, quite a bit more) while also
providing the PS3's functionality...

	I think the PS3's hardware is said to cost $800. So if you added 2
GB of ram for, what, $150 (tops) and a 250 GB hard disk for $100
(tops again, Sony could surely get it a lot cheaper, you'd have a
component price of $1,050. The great 20% margins that Apple aims for
would only put the system cost at a little over $1,200. If you
figured in software development costs, that might go up to $1,300 or
$1,400, still a fairly reasonably priced system.

	-Tim

---
Timothy R. Butler | "Because philosophy arises from awe, a philosopher
tbutler at ofb.biz   | is bound in  his  way to  be a lover of myths  and
www.uninet.info   | poetic fables. Poets and philosophers are alike in
timothybutler.us  | being big with wonder."
                                                      -- Thomas Aquinas