[CS-FSLUG] FreeBSD

Eduardo Sanchez lists at sombragris.org
Wed Nov 15 19:59:55 CST 2006

[rant mode on]

Now, to all those PC-nazi people (or, persons with good intentions but
not-so-good judgment), let me put the following:

In Portuguese and Spanish,

Samba: a dance typical of Rio de Janeiro (Brasil). It is especially
conspicuous on that city's famed carnival.

Zamba: with a "z", in Spanish:

1. A melodic folk rythm from Argentina. Famous examples are: "Zamba del
Nuevo Día" (Zamba of the New Day), "Zamba de mi esperanza" (Zamba of my
hope), "La Nochera" (The Nighter, approximate translation).

2. Female form for "zambo"... which is:

Zambo: an individual of mixed Indian (Aboriginal First nations,
whatever) and black (African) blood.

Taking "samba" as a racial slur shows some ignorance, and would be like
regarding "negro" as anoter racial slur. "Negro" means just "black" in
Spanish.

[rant mode off]

Blessings,

Eduardo

On Tuesday 14 November 2006 10.49, Ritchie, Josiah S. wrote:
> [...]

Prof. Eduardo Sanchez
Asuncion, Paraguay, South America
http://shadow.sombragris.org
These things --the beauty, the memory of our own past-- are good images
of what we really desire; but if they are mistaken for the thing
itself, they turn into dumb idols, breaking the heart of their
worshippers. For they are not the thing itself; they are only the scent
of a flower we have not found, the echo of a tune we have not heard,
news from a country we have never yet visited.

	-- C.S. Lewis, "The Weight of Glory"