[CS-FSLUG] Graphic Card Preferences

Ed Hurst ehurst at asisaid.com
Tue Nov 7 10:45:44 CST 2006

Micah Yoder wrote:

> Actually I think a good majority of soundcards are supported with Free
> drivers.  Maybe not with 100% functionality, but close enough for most
> people.  Lucky I found this page recently!
>
> http://www.alsa-project.org/alsa-doc/
>
> Good overview of soundcard support in ALSA with Free drivers.

Quite so. I'm using an AMD64 board with on-board sound chips from VIA
(via8237) and it works just dandy with Linux, and even better in
FreeBSD. Different Linux distros offer varying quality of sound, so
don't get discouraged if sound matters to you. Also, there are tweaks in
some drivers for different chipsets.

--
Ed Hurst