[CS-FSLUG] Graphic Card Preferences

dmc edoc7 at verizon.net
Mon Nov 6 05:32:02 CST 2006

 > Micah Yoder wrote:
> (First post here!  I work with HCJB World Radio in Ecuador.)

Welcome!  HCJB is a terrific ministry.  Invented
the quad or something like that there due to high
power corona in the thin mountain air.

> Depends on what you mean by "Linux friendly."  NVidia does OK with
> their binary drivers but -- they are still binary drivers.  I think
> binary-only drivers are by definition NOT "Linux friendly."

Let me re-phrase.  On many Linux lists NVIDIA is described as
one of the more Linux-friendly video card vendors.  I am guessing
they refer to the release of info. necessary to the writing of
Linux drivers?

> As soon as you load a binary-blob graphics driver into your kernel,
> you are no longer running a Free operating system.  Your kernel and X
> upgrades are at the mercy of NVidia, and if you have other system
> problems, kernel developers won't touch them with a 10-foot pole.

Hmmm.  Does your definition of Linux-friendly require
NVIDIA to write and support Linux-specific drivers
tied only to the several current versions of the Linux
kernel or some other standard, please?

Using Puppy Linux v.2.11 here and anxiously awaiting
the release of v.2.12

> I've been following this for a while, and it sounds like the two main
> options for true "Linux friendliness" are:
>
>  * Intel integrated graphics chipsets.  No killers, but they're
> adequate for desktop 3D effects and light-to-moderate gaming.  The GMA
> X3000 looks pretty reasonable.

When you say "integrated" you mean fixed to an Intel motherboard?

>  * ATI Xnnn based cards, where nnn <= 999.  X1000+ don't work.  The
> Free driver isn't as fast as the binary-only fglrx driver, but it
> won't hold you hostage -- always a good thing. :)

ATI has traditionally been considered uncooperative, have they
now begin the release of good Linux drivers?

--

Thanks!  David
David Colburn, D.Min, MACo