[CS-FSLUG] Graphic Card Preferences

Micah Yoder yoderm at gmail.com
Mon Nov 6 13:36:50 CST 2006

(First post here!  I work with HCJB World Radio in Ecuador.)

On 11/5/06, dmc <edoc7 at verizon.net> wrote:
> I understand that the NVIDIA-based cards are
> among the most Linux-friendly.

Depends on what you mean by "Linux friendly."  NVidia does OK with
their binary drivers but -- they are still binary drivers.  I think
binary-only drivers are by definition NOT "Linux friendly."

As soon as you load a binary-blob graphics driver into your kernel,
you are no longer running a Free operating system.  Your kernel and X
upgrades are at the mercy of NVidia, and if you have other system
problems, kernel developers won't touch them with a 10-foot pole.

I've been following this for a while, and it sounds like the two main
options for true "Linux friendliness" are:

 * Intel integrated graphics chipsets.  No killers, but they're
adequate for desktop 3D effects and light-to-moderate gaming.  The GMA
X3000 looks pretty reasonable.

 * ATI Xnnn based cards, where nnn <= 999.  X1000+ don't work.  The
Free driver isn't as fast as the binary-only fglrx driver, but it
won't hold you hostage -- always a good thing. :)

God bless,
Micah