[CS-FSLUG] Weighing In On The GPLv3 Debate

dmc edoc7 at verizon.net
Thu Nov 2 05:26:02 CST 2006

> note what Moses said about dishonorable behavior -- "be sure your sin
> will find you out" (Numbers 32:23)

Note what Jesus said about the human heart
"... desperately wicked."

The reality is that post-Fall until restoration-
into-Heaven humans need externally enforced
boundaries if any civilization is to survive.

This is one of the reasons why Jesus instructed
us to be submitted even to secular authority.

It is non-Biblical magical thinking to imagine
that left to their own devices the majority will
choose to behave ethically.  There is no evidence
of such in history.

Biblical Christians, above all people, need to be
realistic about the nature of fallen man.  If we
could behave ourselves by sheer force of will we'd
not have required a Savior, not the indwelling Holy
Spirit of God in His stead.  Most humans are unsaved
and in active unforgiven rebellion against God, there
is no grounds whatsoever to postulate an expectation
of civilized behavior.

Of course we need copyrights, and deeds to our land,
and patents, and other devices to manage the tendency
of humans to behave in selfish ways.

To argue otherwise is to tilt at absurd non-Biblical
"people are essentially good" windmills.

It is the abuse of such civilization-preserving devices,
not their existence, that is up for rational debate.

As always, IMHO, YMMV ... :-)

--

Thanks!  David
David Colburn, D.Min, MACo