[CS-FSLUG] Calculu, was Re: [OT] Re: Seeking opinions

David Aikema david at aikema.net
Wed May 24 11:13:26 CDT 2006

On 5/24/06, Yama Ploskonka <Yama at veritasacademy.net> wrote:
> education - Geography Sciences, Elementary School Teacher, French
> Language and Lit (certified to teach it in France if I ever am crazy
> enough to).  The one I needed two last exams for (I actually passed the
> Astrophysics one, but then someone discovered Physics was a
> pre-requisite) is in Astronomy. The  Physics written exam needed
> Calculus.   It also blocked me when doing Chemical engineering (dropped
> out after one year) and Agricultural Engineering (after two - I even was
> Professor Assistant, doing independent research and all, a couple minor
> publications, but never passed Calculus 101 :-(  ).

With degrees in French Lang & Lit, and certification as an elementary
school teacher, I'm unsurprised that you speak of not having used
calculus outside of school.

> BTW, what more precisely have you used calculus for?

In the business world, for stuff like waveform analysis.

The skills that you'll use all depend on what sort of field you want
to go into.  I also spent some time working in a physics research lab
- academia outside the classroom - and there you're also not going to
get very far without a lot of mathematics.  You might not need
calculus in the arts, but its important to almost anything in the
sciences.

Dave