[CS-FSLUG] open source worship songs

Yama Ploskonka Yama at veritasacademy.net
Mon May 22 22:52:54 CDT 2006

Chris Brault wrote:
> After doing worship at many churches and working in a patent/copyright
> office and just finishing my Communications Law course,

Wow!  quite impressive credentials!

>>> I'm afraid, Chris, that it ain't so.

I then must eat crow...

> Here is my understanding:
>
> 1) As long as there is no commercial gain (whether for profit or not for
> profit) from a live worship performance it is fair use.  This does not
> refer to broadcast nor replay of a recording which indelibly is for
> profit, even if only to pay for the cost or production.
>
> 2) The CCLI license is what allows churches to reproduce the lyrics and
> words for use on projectors as well as reprint lyrics for sing-along
> worship performances.
>
> 3) I can perform my own version of a worship song until I die without
> owing anyone anything.

If you play it in public (eg, a church), doesn't that constitute "public
broadcast"?

> 4) I can write my own version of a song while listening to the radio
> without breaking anyone's copyright (lead-sheets and imitation).

Can you publish those notes?

> If your church wants to "rebroadcast" a song or "publish" a song (in
> print or projector) then it needs a license.  Otherwise, singing it in a
> church is fair use ...

If I get it right, as long as you do not project or print the lyrics...
  Seldom practical
That's what I mean...  Like, yeah, you can sing in the shower, etc, but
once it goes beyond home use, mammon needs you to pay a license.

 > I mean, seriously ... why write worship songs if
> they aren't meant for use in church?

Because they think they will be paid for it?  Because they want to use
the fruit of the spirit (the talent to compose / sing / play) for
personal gain?  Usually defined as simony.   Sorry, Chris, sounds like I
were challenging you.  I believe we are on the same side.  It's the nice
"godly" music that is useless unless one burns incense at Caesar's
shrine that riles me.

Yama