[CS-FSLUG] open source worship songs

Chris Brault gginorio at sbcglobal.net
Mon May 22 22:37:54 CDT 2006

After doing worship at many churches and working in a patent/copyright
office and just finishing my Communications Law course,

>> I'm afraid, Chris, that it ain't so.  Churches have to pay baksheesh or
>> squeeze money to somebody every year.  It's not that much (like $500 -
>> $900), but it's there.  And that is only for live, church performances.
>>   My church has stopped posting sermons on the Internet because
>> sometimes they had music on them - some brave soul convinced them they
>> would roast for eternity if they didn't desist.  Camps have been sued
>> (successfully) for printing songs in camp songbooks.
>
> I understand about camp songbooks, but wouldn't quoting music in a
> sermon fall under Fair Use?

Here is my understanding:

1) As long as there is no commercial gain (whether for profit or not for
profit) from a live worship performance it is fair use.  This does not
refer to broadcast nor replay of a recording which indelibly is for
profit, even if only to pay for the cost or production.

2) The CCLI license is what allows churches to reproduce the lyrics and
words for use on projectors as well as reprint lyrics for sing-along
worship performances.

3) I can perform my own version of a worship song until I die without
owing anyone anything.

4) I can write my own version of a song while listening to the radio
without breaking anyone's copyright (lead-sheets and imitation).

If your church wants to "rebroadcast" a song or "publish" a song (in
print or projector) then it needs a license.  Otherwise, singing it in a
church is fair use ... I mean, seriously ... why write worship songs if
they aren't meant for use in church?