[CS-FSLUG] [OT] Re: Seeking opinions

Alan Trick alantrick at gmail.com
Wed May 17 00:10:18 CDT 2006

On Tue, 2006-05-16 at 15:29 -0500, doc wrote:
> > Well, a for-profit company has investors which expect to receive money
> > back from this - which may lead to compromising academic integrity for
> > the sake of profit.
>
> Or may lead to exceptional excellence in order to
> enhance long term prestige and profits.

I don't think that's very likely. First, excellence tends to require a
lot of unpopular decisions. That's ok if your a not-profit, but a
for-profit school would have a problem with that. The other thing is
that investors tend to very short-sighted. They want their money now,
not in 50 years when they're dead. It's general 	Cheaper to hire
numb-skulls for professors than experts, you can usually get away with
charging just as much for tuition, and there seems to be enough demand
for schools that don't require you to actually learn anything.

I don't know what DeVry is like though. I've never been there and the
only experience I've had with them is a few pamphlets several years ago.

Alan Trick