[CS-FSLUG] Sponsoring a Feature Addition for Evolution

Don Parris dcparris at carolina.rr.com
Sun May 14 20:20:09 CDT 2006

On Sat, 2006-05-13 at 17:57 -0700, Stephen J. McCracken wrote:
> Don Parris wrote:
> > I wanted our ministry to put our money where our mouth is on free
> > software.  To that end, we sought out - and have - an Evolution
> > programmer willing to add a minor feature for a nominal fee.
> >
> > Evolution currently lacks the ability to delete messages from a POP
> > server after a user-specified number of days.  It either deletes them
> > or doesn't delete them; you can't make it wait a few days before
> > deleting them.  This feature is supported in other applications, but
> > I/we use Evolution mostly, and having this feature would be so much
> > easier than using another program or two or three to accomplish our
> > tasks.  Rather than submit a bug report/feature request in the usual
> > manner, we thought we would get it implemented the old-fahsioned
> > Capitalist way.
>
> I would suggest that at the same time, you add in a similar feature to
> give it both options that Thunderbird has.  It not only has a user
> settable day limit for deletion, but also a "delete when I delete or
> move it from my Inbox" feature.  That is the one I have used more in the
> past rather than a strict time delay approach.
>
> sjm

This is a great suggestion indeed.  My concern is that we may not have
quite enough to sponsor the single feature above.  Our ministry can
cover the first 25 hours, but not the last five.  I'll ask the guy about
adding that little bit of functionality as well - how that affects the
cost.  If I can get 10 people to throw $10 each at this, I'll consider
pushing for the additional function you've mentioned.

For Wade:
Incidentally, this does affect churches as well, because The Freely
Project (USA) is still pushing the idea of Ubuntu as part of the
turn-key solution stack for Christian ministries.  In fact, that's the
primary motive here.  I have suggested we would want the feature for
Ubuntu 6.10, which uses Evolution 2.6.  In other words, the Church is
not the only beneficiary, but it is one of the many. :-)