[CS-FSLUG] Seeking opinions

David Aikema david at aikema.net
Fri May 12 10:01:17 CDT 2006

On 5/12/06, Nathan T. <celerate at gmail.com> wrote:
> The University of Alberta's Augustana campus is interesting, they have
> an interesting deal on the table. Their annual tuition seems gravely
> steep until you find out it covers an all you can eat buffet serving
> up three meals a day as well as housing from what I understood.

I take it that you haven't looked at too many private universities
then.  Here are a couple of Canadian Christian ones with CS
departments (although I'm not sure as to the quality of their CPSC
programs).  Both will probably cost you about $15000 a year after
taking housing costs into account, although this may be reduced
somewhat by scholarships and bursaries.

http://www.csc.twu.ca/
http://www.cs.redeemer.on.ca/

I opted for the public university system, but the choice that you make
is up to you.

> They
> offer a decent computer science program. Sadly their CS curriculum
> centers around newer technology like Java and Microsoft's dotNet.

Remember, technology is just a tool.  You're there to learn Computing
Science not specific languages - although I'd be a little more careful
with smaller private schools to ensure that they do have a solid
theoretical basis and aren't just programming programs in disguise.

> Universities they are also a small university and they have Christian
> theology courses! The down side is that it's very far from home, I'd

If you're interesting in theology as a part-time pursuit, something
else that you can watch for are (private) seminaries located on or
adjacent to other universities.  As an example, Regent College -
http://www.regent-college.edu/ - is run out of a building on the UBC
campus and I've attended quite a few public lectures there in times
past.

Dave