[CS-FSLUG] Open Source politics of Re: Correspondence bible college [ OT ]

Yama Ploskonka Yama at veritasacademy.net
Sat May 6 18:42:12 CDT 2006

I don't know why I never sent this.  Been sitting in my "drafts" folder
for over 2 months

dear beloved,
doc details some of the ugly side of academia, and he doesn't even enter
into mentioning simony or worse.
So let me.

I am appalled, chagrined, hurt by this whole buying and selling of the
fruit of the spirit.  While I might somewhat understand the craftsman
being paid for his labor, the whole 'thing' about diplomas, whether they
are worth anything, how much for a 'recognized' course (as he points
out, often more expensive if off the internet), etc...  This is
especially pathetic when we are talking about Bible studies, in which
(supposedly) we want to train/inspire others to carry on with the
Gospel.  Yet they become like the trafficking in the court of the Temple.

I read recently in a missions magazine a very solid article about the
whys and wherefores of getting or not a PhD if your plan is to be a
missionary overseas.  There was another one about the importance of
estate planning.  Hello??  you will not carry a cape or a staff, sure,
but pack your diploma and make sure your investments will vest for your
days in Florida.

If there were reasonable ways that all the effort creating those courses
and learning materials would go into the public domain at a good pace,
yes, OK, we pay somebody to prepare them, in good faith, and then we
spread them, libre like...

Oh well.

I better hit the sack, too late for me today,

blessings you all,

Yama