[CS-FSLUG] noisy fan on Suse 10

Nathan T. celerate at gmail.com
Wed May 3 19:52:00 CDT 2006

On 5/2/06, Alan Trick <alantrick at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sat, 2006-04-29 at 18:25 -0600, Nathan T. wrote:
> > I'll join in on this one, amazingly my fans run faster in Linux than
> > in Windows, but the speed is still variable like it reacts to CPU
> > temperature. I'm left to assume that the cpu runs hotter, since it's
> > louder than in Windows, even when the computer is idle.
>
> I'm guessing you've probably got a cpu that can be throttled and Suse 10
> doesn't have apm support, or at least it's not configured for power
> saving.

A good guess, and something I haven't thought of. But I don't use
SUSE. Right now I'm actually using Kubuntu while I wait for a public
release of PhoeNUX. I don't know if it has to do with CPU throttling
though because when it's completely idle for a long time it should be
just as quiet at an un-throttled clock speed I think.

Either way, if I take my desktop with me to university I'm probably
going to get a better cooling system for it. I've heard a few too many
stories of computers in closed in dorm spaces cooking themselves when
the doors were closed.

PS. How do I know the size of fan and heatsink my case and CPU take,
preferably without opening the computer. I'm not looking for how much
empty space is in the computer, but rather what size the parts that
connect have to be. I'm familiar with software, but rather unexposed
to the hardware aspect of things.