[CS-FSLUG] noisy fan on Suse 10

Alan Trick alantrick at gmail.com
Tue May 2 23:47:36 CDT 2006

On Sat, 2006-04-29 at 18:25 -0600, Nathan T. wrote:
> I'll join in on this one, amazingly my fans run faster in Linux than
> in Windows, but the speed is still variable like it reacts to CPU
> temperature. I'm left to assume that the cpu runs hotter, since it's
> louder than in Windows, even when the computer is idle.

I'm guessing you've probably got a cpu that can be throttled and Suse 10
doesn't have apm support, or at least it's not configured for power
saving.

In layman's terms, a modern cpu might have a maximum speed of 1.8GHz;
however, there they also have the ability to run at 600MHz, 1GHz and
1.5GHz. If the computer is not doing anything, than the operating system
will switch the processor to a lower level until it has use for more
processing power. This saves power, which means less heat, which means
quieter fan.