[CS-FSLUG] Putting Linux on a Sony Viao

Jim Isbell, W5JAI jim.isbell at gmail.com
Sun Jun 18 16:42:19 CDT 2006

Well, I have had much better luck with EBay with both used (1972
Gulfstar 36..$33,000..., 1968 Untravan...$2500...., and hundreds of
other purchases for a total of over $50,000 US) and new.  In all the
time I have been buying from EBay I have only gotten taken once for a
$50 item and that is less than 1/10 of 1% of all my purchases.  Far
less cost than the 8% sales tax I have spent.

The drives I was looking at were all new, but I purchased this Sony
Viao Used on EBay 5 years ago and it has survived an environment that
I almost havent survived including 35 days at sea in the salt spray.
I will have no qualms about buying a used drive.........but NOT from
overseas.  I trust most people, but not if they have the protection of
being beyond the US border....and that includes Canada because US law
cant reach them.

On 6/18/06, Nathan T. <celerate at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 6/16/06, Jim Isbell, W5JAI <jim.isbell at gmail.com> wrote:
> > I have been spending the evening looking at EBay and the price of a
> > replacement HD is only about $1 per GB so I am thinking that the best
> > thing to do is replace the 5.5GB with a 100GB drive and there will be
> > no problems with space.
> [snip]
>
> I hope you're not implying that you're going to pick up a used hard
> drive. I've almost been tempted to spend money on E-Bay too, and at
> one point I bought a 5 Gig drive off someone I knew for 5$, but it
> didn't last more than a month, and by the time someone is offering
> them used they usually aren't going to.
>
> A dollar a gigabyte is about the same price as you'll get in a store
> for a brand new drive when they come on sale, even here in Canada. My
> advice which you may take as you please, is to pick one up new in a
> store with a proper manufacturer warranty.
>
> I personally prefer to go without something rather than to buy it used
> and have it last only just long enough for me to become accustomed to
> having it.

Jim Isbell
you are just taking up too much space."