[CS-FSLUG] Open Source Theology

Wade A Smith warm38 at juno.com
Wed Jun 14 16:26:49 CDT 2006

> Date: Wed, 14 Jun 2006 08:34:28 +0800
> From: dmc <edoc7 at verizon.net>
> Subject: Re: [CS-FSLUG] Open Source Theology
> To: "A Christian virtual Free Software and Linux Users Group."
>         <Christiansource at ofb.biz>

> I do not have the time, at the moment, to present
> a point-by-point critique.

Drat.  I'd like to see it.

> My brother is very enamored with the emergent church
> movement and I have read some of the writings and he
> and I have discussed it at some length.
>
> It is, in general, theologically sloppy and often
> leans toward a social justice/politically correct/
> Crystal Cathedral "only the nice sounding stuff",
> compromise-to-grow philosophy.

BINGO!  ... errr... I mean, "Amen, Brother!"

> I am equally critical of the sloppy theology found in
> many mainline churches, Roman Catholicism, Arminianism,
> Calvinism, Reformed, the charismatic/pentecostal movement,
> and evangelicalism.

I fully agree.

> Human preference and tradition are too often mistaken
> for and promoted as Biblically-equivalent truth.

Yep.  I've seen too much of it to the point I hardly care.

> In considering the emergent church movement proposals
> I find some things with which I agree and some with
> which I do not -- mostly from a clear Biblical perspective
> and some from psychological/sociological and strategic
> perspectives.
>
> It is also interesting that many in the emergent church
> movement are as unteachable as those from whom they
> wish to differentiate.

"unteachable" or "willfully ignorant" or a combination of the two.
Arrogance is unteachable.  Humility is teachable.

God's Word is based on Law, not feelings.  And make sure you understand
Law
as to include the "Spirit of the Law" not legalism (see how Jesus dealt
with the Sabbath).
Many precepts are in the stories, sermons and prayers of Scripture and
are ignored
by most folks who view the entire Bible as legalistic and thus pick and
choose the
"feel good" or "looks good to me" passages.  This often leads to "sloppy
theology".
IMHO.

Well said, dmc!  I don't like "sloppy theology" either -- especially in
me.

I enjoy such, seeing how I am somewhat a radical conservative christian
similar to
Fred Miller (who left the list because his conservative views were
constantly attacked without
any Scripture to disprove his Scripturally-supported views).  I have
given up attempting
to espouse such views and just ignore the "feely views" that appear
without any Scriptural backing.
(Ed Hurst used one of my rants about the Satanic/deceptive practices of a
certain national political
party and turned it into on really super article.  That was one of the
last ones I had the gumption
to do, then I fell to apathy in view of all the "feely views" that
appeared and offered no Scripture to
refute my Scripture-laced rant.)

Now-a-days I just look for Linux info that has no list of <cuss><cuss>
words embedded for
emphasis.

But after reading your post, I just thought I'd put out an "atta boy".

wade