[CS-FSLUG] Open Source Theology

Ritchie, Josiah S. jritchie at bible.edu
Tue Jun 13 08:28:39 CDT 2006

However,
> the "about" page openly advertises their affiliation with the Emergent
> Church movement. That means we should expect some oddball things, such
> as the concept of the site itself. I have found one or two really
great
> articles there, and quite I few I liked for making me think.

I've been enjoying the "Theology of Relational Development" at
http://www.opensourcetheology.net/node/901. I reserve some serious
disagreements with what I've read so far such as some conclusions that
our relationship with God changes God, but it does serve to challenge
thought.

I've just recently started really digging into this whole "emerging
church conversation". It seems like non-emerging evangelicals tend to
have a very poor view of emergents, but I have yet to see the
non-emergent criticism present an accurate view of emergents in their
critique. Meaning, it looks like from my study so far that emergents are
being blindly swatted at by non-emergents.

Many of you are far more versed in this than I so perhaps you can
correct me, but my understanding of the emergent conversation is that
they do not hold collectively to any beliefs, but instead encourage
study so that the emergent comes to convictions personally. Perhaps this
is a rebellion against the "led by the nose" style indoctrination of
generations past.

Anyway, as Ed's approach to this opensourcetheology.net site
demonstrates, there is benefit in reading outside our personal beliefs.
I think there is a issue with many who only read what they will agree
with them, but don't allow their own views to be challenged by those who
may sit in opposition.

How'd I get way out here? What was the topic?

JSR/