[CS-FSLUG] Heading towards a brick wall.

Timothy Butler tbutler at ofb.biz
Sun Feb 19 18:01:41 CST 2006

> I don't think that we're quite as crazy up in Canada over SATs or the
> ACT (at least I've never taken one and I don't know of any friends who
> have).  Even if you're trying to get into grad school, a lot of the
> times you can avoid taking them.

	Huh. Well, you guys are smart, I think. But, it does have its
advantages. It made it a lot easier for a homeschooler like myself to
have some kind of objective way to present my qualifications to
colleges.

> I avoided the technical institutes, but at the same time I don't
> regret my decision to avoid going to a liberal arts school.  (Although
> I was not far from a liberal arts certificate at the university I did
> attend, and ended up with an extended minor in history alongside my

	Well, I wouldn't recommend a liberal arts college either. But I
think a university that has a good selection of liberal arts (and
substantial gen ed requirements) is good.

> Computing honours program [sidenote: I'm told that having honours
> degree programs, which involve a higher minimum GPA and more courses,
> is one reason why in Canada universities aren't quite as picky at the
> grad school entrance stage about stuff like GREs])

	Interesting. Most (all?) the schools I looked at here in the states
had honors programs of one sort or another. I think it is a nice
program to be in -- although most people around here aren't that
interested, oddly enough.

	-Tim

---
Timothy R. Butler | "It may be that  when the angels go about their
Editor, OfB.biz   | task  praising God,  they play only Bach.  I am
tbutler at ofb.biz   | sure,  however,  that when they are together en
timothybutler.us  | famille they play Mozart."
                                                       -- Karl Barth