[CS-FSLUG] Heading towards a brick wall.

Legatus lists at runyanrants.net
Sat Feb 18 16:04:07 CST 2006

I whacked the entire message. You need to stop fretting about what you
don't have, and start working with what you do. I suggest you
investigate internships. The US government have many opportunities to
earn you education. Some are in the military, and others lead to GS
level jobs. States, and even major corporations have these same
opportunities.

Me personally, I dropped out of school, and floundered around tech
schools for EMS work. I took a part time job in tech again. I didn't
make much even as it became full time. I put together a plan to go back
to school. I had the benefit of a supportive wife, and so I had a
partner, but I knew others who did it alone. I'm 31, graduated 6 years
ago, and make 4 to 5 times what I was making before. The moral I guess
is do something. Find a crappy job, doing something related to what you
want to do. Don't expect them to plop you down in front of a
workstation, and say design my app. I would expect to have them give you
a pile of something, and sneakers. Take the time to know the people who
do what you want to do, and ask them for help or advice getting there.
The fine line you don't want to cross is this one, don't sound like a
desperate kid. Sound like an interested neophyte. Be ready to learn, and
  listen to even the most boorish person who has already achieved where
you want to go.