[CS-FSLUG] webservers

David McGlone dmcglone at sbcglobal.net
Sat Feb 18 18:07:02 CST 2006

On Saturday 18 February 2006 14:12, Timothy Butler wrote

> Wow, I think you could write several volumes on this, David. :-)

Tell me about it :)

I decided to check into zoneedit, while Frank Bax gives me pointers and shows
me how to set everything up.

> Honestly, I wouldn't want to run a web server as a hobby. Even with a
> subscription to Red Hat Network for RHEL, and cPanel/WHM, which
> automates most of the tedious stuff, it takes a lot of time to run a
> web server.

Yeah, It does take a lot of time, but truth is, it's mostly for experience. I
really want to learn just what it takes to run my own server and host my own
site on it.

Maybe after I learn what I can about everything I will probably move on to
having somebody else do it. (experience is your best teacher) :)

> If you still want to, here are things to consider:
>
> 	1.) If you still have AT&T Highspeed Internet, as it appears you do,
> you will need to get a different plan than the standard consumer
> grade one to host a web site without violating your TOS.

I have SBC, but I think they recently merged with AT&T, and last I checked
they allowed their customers to run webservers.

> 	2.) You will need at least three static IP's if you plan to do your
> own DNS (one for the normal server functions, two for the two DNS
> servers [you can use one machine to do it all, but you still need
> three IP's]).
>

> 	By the time you get that stuff, keep in mind you may be approaching
> the monthly cost of a bargain dedicated server, which would be a much
> better solution than running a server over DSL, and you still get
> root access. (It is still a ton of work too, but at least you have
> better connectivity and aren't responsible for the hardware.)

Yeah, but this is mainly going to be for learning purposes.

> 	Once you have those, if you get stuck anywhere, I'd be happy to
> help. I'm not really sure specifically what you might need help with

LOL I don't even know what I need help with anymore. Thanks for the offer,
I'll keep it in mind.

Sometimes I think I only need a new brain. ;)

David M.