[CS-FSLUG] webservers

Timothy Butler tbutler at ofb.biz
Sat Feb 18 15:12:00 CST 2006

Wow, I think you could write several volumes on this, David. :-)

Honestly, I wouldn't want to run a web server as a hobby. Even with a
subscription to Red Hat Network for RHEL, and cPanel/WHM, which
automates most of the tedious stuff, it takes a lot of time to run a
web server.

If you still want to, here are things to consider:

	1.) If you still have AT&T Highspeed Internet, as it appears you do,
you will need to get a different plan than the standard consumer
grade one to host a web site without violating your TOS.

	2.) You will need at least three static IP's if you plan to do your
own DNS (one for the normal server functions, two for the two DNS
servers [you can use one machine to do it all, but you still need
three IP's]).

	By the time you get that stuff, keep in mind you may be approaching
the monthly cost of a bargain dedicated server, which would be a much
better solution than running a server over DSL, and you still get
root access. (It is still a ton of work too, but at least you have
better connectivity and aren't responsible for the hardware.)

	Once you have those, if you get stuck anywhere, I'd be happy to
help. I'm not really sure specifically what you might need help with.

	-Tim