[CS-FSLUG] hyperterm replacement?

Ritchie, Josiah S. jritchie at bible.edu
Wed Feb 15 09:18:56 CST 2006

THAT).

> As Josiah said, minicom is probably the most popular serial
communication
> program out there. It's a console program, though. If you want a
graphical
> program then CuteCom ( http://cutecom.sourceforge.net/ ) is written
with
> Qt and looks like it should be good. I ought to play with it myself,
> actually. minicom can be a pain to set up.

I must admit, this is one of the areas that I think it funny to use a
GUI program. Why use a GUI to work with an inherently CLI interface? In
windows, yeah, cause the CLI was just plain awful, but the CLI in Linux
r0x5 irrespective of your term program.

I'd be glad to help with setting up minicom if need be. It's not bad
once you get used to it, it's just a bit of an unusual interface. A
common problem is running it from an account without permission to
access the Serial ports (hint: sudo minicom /dev/ttyS#). It's also a
good idea to know how the device you connect to wants to be talked to,
check the manual because you can blow a lot more time doing the guess &
check method, at least I know I have several times until I learned this
lesson (and probably will again).

JSR/