[CS-FSLUG] SuSE 10.1 beta 3 (Ed Hurst)

Ed Hurst ehurst at asisaid.com
Tue Feb 14 19:24:40 CST 2006

David McGlone wrote:

> So  I tried FC4 x86_64 and it installed just fine and run pretty good, but I
> hated the fact it didn't have a centralized place for configuring and working
> on the computer, like Mandriva and SuSE have and everything was so
> unorganized.

You would have to study, but Fedora's RH-based tools are less
encompassing. However, with some reading of the expansive RedHat
documentation, you could probably get it.

> One quick  question. I haven't rebooted my machine, but if I do,  will I have
> to always pass the kernel parameters "acpi=on acpic=off"? If so, is there a
> way I could change this behavior to "just work" :)

No. Now that you have it installed, you can go back and edit the Grub
menu directly and change "acpic=off" to "acpi=on". It's at
/boot/grub/menu.lst -- that's an LST on the end. I've had to make
adjustements to that file after installing on a couple of SuSE machines.

> PS: I was very dispointed and frustrated with Linux all together especially
> with Mandriva and SuSe, but SuSE happened to fix the installation problem for
> 64's just in time or they would have lost all my respect whatsoever.

SuSE is going through a very bad time with their 10.0 release.

--
Ed Hurst