[CS-FSLUG] Dvorak Keyboards

Chris Brault gginorio at sbcglobal.net
Thu Feb 9 23:55:32 CST 2006

Interesting,
> Interestingly, he mentions some situations where it might not be
> convenient to switch:
>
> - If you move from computer to computer all day.
> - If you program in un-English languages like Unix shell commands.
> - If you depend on software's keyboard commands (as in vi or emacs) that
> you know by their positions, not their letters.

Well, it is hard for an old dog to learn new tricks, so he has a point
there. The Dvorak was designed with the English language in mind
(although there are international versions available). I do move from
computer to computer all the time. It almost sounds like the same
reasons not to switch to Linux: "Everyone else is using Windows.", and
"The software we use now doesn't work on Linux" and of course, "This
doesn't work like Windows."

Maybe I'm just imagining things. I'll test the keyboard out for myself
by typing on it for a few months. If it is more comfortable, then I'll
use both types.