[CS-FSLUG] Re: Intelligent design...

David Aikema daikema at gmail.com
Fri Sep 16 02:47:21 CDT 2005

On 9/16/05, Nathan T. <celerate at gmail.com> wrote:
> I've heard of that flying spaghetti monsterism argument before, used
> against creationism it is just a lie people tell themselves so they
> don't have to listen to the facts. There's more water on the surface
> of the sun than the flying spaghetti monsterism argument can hold.

I doubt that there is a single "true believer" in flying spaghetti
monsterism.  It was created in response to the Kansas school board's
decision regarding intelligent design in the science classroom, and
has generally been noted as such whereever it is mentioned.

The point that I think Henderson was attempting to make is one
relating to the falsifiability of intelligent design.  How can one
design a test in which an intelligent design hypothesis can be put to
the test with the possible result that it fail if it doesn't pass some
established criteria.  (In fact, if I recall correctly, some
organization put out a $250000US reward for anyone who can prove
flying spaghetti monsterism false).

Without being able to scientifically prove the existance of God, one
can't really prove the veracity of intelligent design.  The most that
can really be done is to prove other theories highly improbable.
Hence, I think that the scientific method is not an appropriate set of
"tools" for dealing with instances in which divine intervention is
involved.

David