[CS-FSLUG] Recommendation on Wireless NICs

Bradly McConnell bradly.mcconnell at gmail.com
Sun Sep 11 20:20:25 CDT 2005

On 9/11/05, Don Parris <gnumathetes at gmail.com> wrote:

> Can anyone recommend a solid wireless NIC - not the router, the NIC -
> that will be suitable for SUSE or other GNU/Linux distros? When I
> asked about this on the SUSE list, I got plenty of debate over the
> security issues, and even some ideas on which router to use, but not
> one single word on the NICs. Does anyone here use a wireless NIC with
> Linux? If so, which one?

If you can still find one, the Cisco Aeronet(sp?) seem to work great. Just
be warned that even the same models of cards have been known to use
different chipsets (i.e. switching from the well supported prism chipsets to
the proprietary broadcom). Most models can be made to work with the
ndiswrapper, but if you can get a native chipset (prism, atheros, etc.) then
it will be a much better experience.

Brad