[CS-FSLUG] KMail troubleshooting

Nigel Ridley nigel at rmk.co.il
Wed Sep 7 22:04:24 CDT 2005

bouquet at ruthes-secretroses.com wrote:
> Hi list members,
> Fred was kind enough on Saturday to phone me several times and walk me through a
> complete install of my SUSE 9.3 Professional. I have a mind to write an article
> about how this is like moving into a castle with many locked doors, and much to
> discover, and all of it first class.
>
> I do have one problem though. My account settings for both Sending and Recieving
> mail won't hold. The Sending details disappear as soon as I try to send any
> email, and the Receiving details vanish when I close KMail. So I've been
> filling those blanks out over and over - no go!
>
> Been checking online, Googling, and reading all the manuals, but nothing exactly
> answers this. I do believe though (maybe just intuitively), that it started when
> I was trying to import my emails from my Mandrake/KMail backup. The import
> didn't work, so I followed the advice in the KMail handbook, which talked of
> adding a line to the file at .kde/share/config/kmailrc (after saving a backup
> copy). That didn't work, so I put it back. Perhaps wrongly? Now it has a golden
> padlock on it!
>
> The other advice was to move my old email folders to the
> .kde/share/apps/kmail/mail folder. Then my folders showed up! Albeit, the ones
> with sub-folders turn out to be empty; as they are on my backup CDs.
>
> Can anyone say what I've done wrong here? How can I fix this? Or should I be
> asking how to re-install KMail?
>
> I used to be real fond of my Pegasus, but now it is KMail I want up and running!
>
> Blessings & Thanks,
> Ruth

Easy! Right click on the KMail icon on your task bar and, from the
options, choose 'Remove KMail Button'. Then open Yast (or whatever the
package manager in SuSe is called) and choose 'install Thunderbird' :-)

I used to use KMail but got fed up with the newest one when it kept
asking for username password for all my accounts. Also it would neglect
to check some of my accounts even though it was configured to do so. I
would have to close and restart KMail in order to receive my mail.

So now I use Thunderbird and am very happy!

Blessings,

Nigel

--
It's not a problem -- it's a learning opportunity.
--

I AM Bible Studies and Resources
http://www.i-amfaithweb.net

Messianic E-Cards.com