[CS-FSLUG] RFC: Change of Statement of Faith

Timothy Butler tbutler at ofb.biz
Mon Sep 5 19:52:25 CDT 2005

> I for one am happy not being baptised, circumcised, slain in the
> spirit, speaking in tongues, or any of that other stuff. I won't
> say it's wrong since that's not my place, but personally I think
> most of that today is wrongfully interpreted and has become
> superstition.

     Well, I'd disagree with that, with regard to communion and
baptism. As others have noted, Jesus has specifically commanded those
two (hence, in the statement, we chose the term "sacraments" for
referring to them). I personally do not believe they are necessary,
but given that it is specifically rejecting Jesus' command not to...
If I were you, I'd consider requesting to have a baptism with a
smaller number of people (i.e. maybe just family), if you are
avoiding it due to shyness, rather than avoiding it altogether.

     For what it is worth, I'm one of the "sprinkled" ones. I have
considered doing an immersion baptism, but tend to feel there is
something valid about infant baptism and so long as I do, I'm dubious
about rebaptising... (I'm no anabaptist :-))

     -Tim

---
Timothy R. Butler | "Now  that  I am a  Christian  I  do have moods
Editor, OfB.biz   | in which the whole thing looks very improbable:
tbutler at ofb.biz   | but when I was an  atheist I had moods in which
timothybutler.us  | Christianity looked terribly probable."
                                                       -- C.S. Lewis