[CS-FSLUG] RFC: Change of Statement of Faith

Don Parris gnumathetes at gmail.com
Mon Sep 5 03:27:00 CDT 2005

On 9/5/05, Nathan T. <celerate at gmail.com> wrote:
> While we are on the topic of baptisms I would like to know what good it does
> if most people were baptised shortly after birth without making that choice
> themselves. If baptism is an outward sign to the world then shouldn't it be
> something you choose to do, not something your parents chose for you.
>
>  Personally I haven't been baptised yet, and I really don't think it's
> necessary, nor do I feel like being baptised; however, if someone can claim
> that they have been baptised because as a child they had a spoon full of
> water poured on their heads without even knowing what it was all about, then
> I think I can claim that any one of those showers I took at night before bed
> can count as a baptism ;-) .

Hmmm... I'd say you are largely unaware of the teachings here.
Baptism is not necessary for salvation.  However, it is something that
was commanded by Jesus, and is therefore something every believer
participates in, once saved (assuming they didn't die before having
the opportunity to be baptized).  Baptism and Communion are both very
important.

>  I for one am happy not being baptised, circumcised, slain in the spirit,
> speaking in tongues, or any of that other stuff. I won't say it's wrong
> since that's not my place, but personally I think most of that today is
> wrongfully interpreted and has become superstition.

Speaking in tongues, being slain in the Spirit, etc. were not
commanded by Jesus.  Frankly, the "slain in the spirit" thing is more
of a recent development than a First Century practice.  External
signs, as such, are not required - though we are required to wisely
use those gifts which God has given us - and most scholars agree the
lists in the New Testament are not all-inclusive.

Baptism and Communion are both commanded by Christ, and are thus
"sacraments"; whereas the other things are merely "signs".  Do not
confuse the two.

I consider baptism the equivalent of being "branded" as a slave of
Christ - part of our public profession of faith.  Communion involves
our fellowship with Christ and each other - in remembrance of Him -
until He returns.  It is ultimately your choice.  However, I would
encourage you to recognize the difference between that which is
central to Christian theology, and that which is peripheral
(regardless of denomination).

Blessings,
Don
--