[CS-FSLUG] NI: Massachusetts to adopt 'open' desktop

Fred A. Miller fmiller at lightlink.com
Thu Sep 1 18:38:58 CDT 2005

On Thursday 01 September 2005 6:24 pm, JD Runyan wrote:
> Fred A. Miller wrote:
> > Another blow to MickySoft......their Office is "out," and OpenOffice is
> > "in." Logic would dictate that Linux will be replacing 'Bloze as well!
> >
> > Fred
> > __________________
> >
> > Massachusetts to adopt 'open' desktop!
> >
> > The commonwealth of Massachusetts will phase out office productivity
> > applications from Microsoft and other providers in favor of those based
> > on "open" standards.
> >
> > http://news.zdnet.com/2100-3513_22-5845451.html?tag=nl.e589
>
> Getting rid of the OS is probably not so much an issue after the MFC
> chord has been cut, but it won't happen until some brave computer
> manufacturer actually builds and markets a PC pre-installed with Linux
> as the default configuration. I don't think OS cost will drive it much,
> because most people view the OS as a part of the computer, and thus the
> OS is not usually budgeted for. The inroads on POS systems are more
> valuable, because those companies are starting to provide total Linux
> solutions. As they do so, they have started providing general purpose
> machines to manage the registers that run Linux. These can be used for
> everything else as well. All it takes is a geek to point it out to them.

That is true, however, bear in mind that the ENTIRE state of Indiana is NOW
going to be SUES Linux THIS year in all high schools, with all students
having a PC in school later on. You know that this will eventually be ALL
schools for all grads in Indiana. So, it presently doesn't matter that the
"big" PC makers still have their heads in a sand bucket.

Fred

to you, at this time.