[CS-FSLUG] NI: Massachusetts to adopt 'open' desktop

JD Runyan Lists at RunyanRants.Net
Thu Sep 1 17:24:32 CDT 2005

Fred A. Miller wrote:
> Another blow to MickySoft......their Office is "out," and OpenOffice is "in."
> Logic would dictate that Linux will be replacing 'Bloze as well!
>
> Fred
> __________________
>
> Massachusetts to adopt 'open' desktop!
>
> The commonwealth of Massachusetts will phase out office productivity
> applications from Microsoft and other providers in favor of those based on
> "open" standards.
>
> http://news.zdnet.com/2100-3513_22-5845451.html?tag=nl.e589

Getting rid of the OS is probably not so much an issue after the MFC
chord has been cut, but it won't happen until some brave computer
manufacturer actually builds and markets a PC pre-installed with Linux
as the default configuration. I don't think OS cost will drive it much,
because most people view the OS as a part of the computer, and thus the
OS is not usually budgeted for. The inroads on POS systems are more
valuable, because those companies are starting to provide total Linux
solutions. As they do so, they have started providing general purpose
machines to manage the registers that run Linux. These can be used for
everything else as well. All it takes is a geek to point it out to them.

--
What is the difference between faith and folly? The former is the product
of revelation, while the latter is the result of presumption.